In May, Prairie State’s Lively Grove Mine Rescue Team competed in the 43rd annual Alabama State mine rescue contest. This was a two-day mine rescue contest held at Bevill State Community College in Summinton, Alabama. Trophies were given for the top three places in the preshift, first aid, and bench contests.
Out of seven teams, the Lively Grove Mine Rescue Team placed fourth overall.
- BioMarine Bench Contest:
- Raul Guillermo received 1st place, and Marcus Tso received 2nd place in the BioMarine bench contest.
- Preshift Contest:
- Travis Schaeffer and Mike Alms competed individually in the preshift contest, with Travis taking home the 1st place trophy. Travis worked a perfect problem with no discounts.
- First Aid Contest:
- Loretta Fondaw (EMT and captain), Jake Montgomery (second EMT), and Dan Wiedwilt (mock patient) competed in the first aid portion of the contest.
- Mine Rescue Contest:
- The mine rescue team includes Loretta Fondaw (captain), Jake Montgomery (gas person), Mike Alms (map person), Raul Guillermo (field communications), Dan Wiedwilt (back captain), Travis Schaeffer (briefing officer), Paul Dunk (computer communications person), and Marcus Tso (patient). This team competed both days in the Alabama State mine rescue contest, their first contest of the year.
- The team placed fourth for Day 1 and second for Day 2. Combined scores from both days resulted in the team having a final placement of fourth overall.