April 22, 2015
April 22, 2015 marks the 45th anniversary of Earth Day, and Prairie State employees celebrated by planting trees around the campus. Planting trees affects the environment in a positive way:
• Trees can contribute to local aquifer recharge and to the improvement of watershed system health, from both quantity and quality standpoints
• Trees absorb air pollutants and intercept particulate matter
• Through direct sequestration, trees reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide levels
• Trees intercept rainfall and help increase infiltration and the ability of soil to store water
• Transpiration through leaves minimizes soil moisture, which reduces runoff
Happy Earth Day from everyone at Prairie State Generating Company!